Wednesday 4 May 2011

Dorset's toughest ahead

Chris and Dave at Portland
Started early yesterday (7am) and saw the oyster farmers cleaning oysters at Ferry Bridge.  Dave, Chris and Peter joined me by Weymouth's Olympic sailing venue and we set off to find a cafe. We walked all around Portland where there are many quarries and random leftover chunks of rock as big as a Mini.  We rounded Portland Bill after a quick lunch into very strong wind making us lean into it.  A very pleasant walk, though. 

Then, it was back across the causeway and the long trudge into Weymouth.  I insisted on a half hour coffee stop as it was 4pm by now.  Getting up from the table made everyone realise how stiff they were and the pace was slower from here.  I was pleased to get onto cliff paths again after a lot of tarmac and we reach Osmington Mills at 6pm.  Big respect to my walking chums - they'd walked 19 miles.  Peter leading from the front and Dave and Chris doing brilliantly for 2 pensioners!  Sue and Lynn met us at the Smugglers Inn and we enjoyed a well-deserved meal.  I did 27 miles altogether at a faster pace than normal and for the first time my shins hurt and my feet ached from all the tarmac.  Phew!

After a good night's rest I'm facing the 2nd hardest day of the whole path.  19 miles altogether, of which the last 11 are classed as 'severe', and include Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove and the brutal stretch past Kimmeridge.  Never mind, I'm still slightly ahead of schedule and my last day tomorrow should be a little shorter.  I'm hoping to finish around 3 at South Haven Point opposite Sandbanks.  Got to get today out of the way first though. 

I'm planning a small celebration tomorrow by the finish sign, so if any of you fancy a trip to Poole (see above) tomorrow afternoon just ring/text me or leave a comment on this blog (which I do get), then I can give you clearer timing.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, a relay message from Richard Maunder who is now beyond the Helford, He enjoyed the blog about your disturbed night with the doggers !!! Sends you huge, fellow walkers, RESPECT for your magnificent effort to complete in such a short time. He hopes you enjoy the celebrations on crossing the finish and will catch up with your blog when he can. I won't tell him you did 27 miles in one day it might put him off his stride. Well Done. Rgds other Richard.

    ReplyDelete