Wednesday 20 April 2011

300 miles today

Little lizard taking it easy
On the trail at Penzance yesterday, I met a walker with a massive rucksack.  It was  Ian, a newly-retired policeman who is walking from The Lizard to John O'Groats over the next few months.  He is doing it unsupported and the rucksack weighs over 25 kg (my heavy pack is 13 kg inc water).  He was on day 3 and, by the way he was leaning over just standing still, I guess his knees will be feeling it soon.  Coffee at Chapel Rock with St Michael's Mount in the background, lots flies and midges all the way to Mullion Cove.  H walked with me for the last 3 miles from Poldhu where we had an icecream and the guy running the cafe gave me a couple of quid sponsorship.  Lanacane anti-chafing gel is a miracle!  No soreness at all even through 9 hours of very hot walking.

After today's walk, 20 miles from Mullion Cove around Lizard Point to Porthoustock I will be into the second half of the walk and soon to encounter several estuaries that will need to be crossed or walked round.

No comments:

Post a Comment