Saturday 30 April 2011

Calm before the storm

View towards Teignmouth
Thankfully an easier day, although a chilly morning.  After a moderate 6 miles to Paignton I had a level walk around the "English Riviera" to Torquay for coffee and cake.  The next 11 miles were much tougher than I thought with many ups and downs on my way to Teignmouth.  The town was as I remembered from childhood, an old-fashioned and quaint seaside town.  The route was eerily quiet with everyone  watching the wedding but a couple of very nice pubs en route were open ;-)  I always listen to the radio where I get reception so got the gist of it.

The final 3 miles to Dawlish followed the Great Western Railway line along the breakwater except for 2 tunnels where I had to go up and over.  Couldn't find anywhere to park the camper near the coast so decided to go inland to some woods.  Found a quiet lay-by but cars kept coming round again and again, staring at us.  After about an hour of this we figured we were in the local dogging zone.   Nobody stayed though, and I was tired so drew the blinds, watched telly and went to bed as usual around 9.

Today I have a short 17 mile day to Sidmouth as I need to keep something in reserve for tomorrow's 'hard as' section.  The forecast is for occasional heavy showers too, so I've packed all my waterproofs.

No comments:

Post a Comment