Tuesday 26 April 2011

400 miles and Cornwall done

The walk yesterday from Porthwrinkle to Cawsands was much harder than I remembered (H and I did this section last year) and the first 10 miles took me nearly 4 hours.  Then, after coffee and cake, it got much easier through Mount Edgcumbe park to the ferry at Cremyll.  Before boarding the ferry I ate my lunch and had my mandatory nap on the lawn.

After crossing the Tamar I walked another 7 miles around Plymouth, including the Hoe to Mount Batten.  This was in parts a well-signed and scenic walk but at times I had to use my sat nav a lot, and passed industrial estates and sewage works.  Anyway, I caught the ferry back over to the Barbican where my brother Jeremy came to collect me for my first night in a real bed for 3 weeks.  He had also sent Christine out to get provisions so I had a few cans of Speckled Hen to wash the sausage casserole down.  Fed and watered I retired at the usual hour (just after 9).

Today I'm heading for Bigbury-on-Sea via the Wembury ferry.  I then wade across a river which must be timed 1 hour either side of low tide and even then it come over your knees.  Will report on this tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Tim, you are an inspiration. Keep it going, mate and I might hand you a beer over the fence when you get back. Good luck crossing that river!

    Johnwyn, Mel, Ellie and Lucas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up Tim, I walked across the River Erme last week it's nice and cold, great for soothing your feet. When you get to Torcross - you may want to eat at the Start Cross Inn you may see a few celebrities in there. All the best Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy and Sally Pickett26 April 2011 at 22:45

    Fantastic stuff Tim! Did you get a ride on the
    Sea Tractor in Bigbury today? Keep it up mate, you're going great! A & S

    ReplyDelete