Wednesday 27 April 2011

Many rivers to cross

190 actually
Jeremy dropped me back at Mount Batten and walked with me for a mile.  Then it was round the headland past Wembury to wait for another ferry at Warren Point.  What better way to pass the time than a superb coffee and a pasty?  Cadged a lift with a couple of guys being taken to their boat and they dropped me on the other side.  They told me of a Russian guy who'd recently walked the whole path like me, but was 1 day ahead at this point ... grrr.

At Mothecombe there's no ferry and you have to wade across the river.  I had to wait 2 hrs for the tide to recede so I had another pasty and a cup of tea and talked to some walkers.  Finally it was OK to launch but the water was still above my knees (which are higher than most!).   Got dried off and tackled the last 4 tough miles. At the Bigbury-on-Sea ferry point my brother came and gave me a lift round to the other side as the ferries had stopped for the day so at Bantham I settled into the pub for some food and a pint then set off in search of a bivvy spot.

I found some golf huts and set up in there until the swallows nesting above me got their knickers in a twist.  Moved to the hut next door.  Today is 23 miles past Salcombe to Hallsands.

2 comments:

  1. Keep going, mate, you've done the hard bit now. Seriously, fantastic effort, and well done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reeespect from the Maunder team going the other way! 30 days very impressive!! We checked out your accommodation it should be in the best hotels of Devon. We caught the ferry with 30 seconds to go.Enjoy the downhill run to Poole.
    Richard and Richard.

    ReplyDelete