Thursday 28 April 2011

3/4 of the way there

My bivvy spot on the pipe
No milk means no breakfast until a shop at Hope Cove where I sat on a bench and had my cereal and a cup of tea.  The stretch to Salcombe was hard but then I met Richard Maunder, another walker doing the same but in the opposite direction.  I'd seen his info on the coast website http://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/walkthepath/charity/ and wondered when we'd meet.  He's aiming to do it in 40 days and is walking around 15-16 miles a day, mixing camping with B&Bs. 

Then my sister Sally arrived to walk with me and after taking another ferry she provided a gorgeous picnic lunch, yum.  It was nice walking but then got very rocky so nice to have company.  After she left I got to my destination of Hallsands but couldn't find anywhere to sleep and carried on to Beesands where you can see my bivvy bag on the shingle.  I've got my first blister on my heel, I think from a bit of sand.  Compeed to the rescue.

I slept very well to the sound of the waves, waking occasionally with cold knees.  I just had to wriggle over and warm them on the Thermarest then back to sleep.  This morning I had a luxurious start: a cup of tea and cereal in my bivvy bag on the beach whilst listening to Farming Today on the radio.  I have a small Jetboil stove which is brilliant and has stripes on the outside which light up when the water's boiling.  V clever.  I'm feeling good - only a week to go so am determined to finish on track, and H is coming down tonight with the camper to meet me in Brixham.

No comments:

Post a Comment