Saturday 9 April 2011

Still going

Camp spot (see big hill behind?)
Sorry for the blog gap, getting a signal is much harder than I thought. 

Back to Thursday evening.  Whilst I was tucking into fish and chips, a policewoman stopped to chat.  She was worried about me sleeping on the path and advised me not to use any lights in case someone alerted the coastguards.  Not much chance, as I've been going to sleep around 9pm.  Later that night, I was startled awake by something tugging the bivvy bag just near my head.  It was a badger and I'm not sure who was more frightened.  It ran off but I put my red flashing torch on for the rest of the night, and took ages getting back to sleep.

Friday's walking was hard.  My legs ached and my right knee was very painful especially on the downhills.  The Lee Bay to Woolacombe section took me from sea level to the top of the cliff and back again 7 times in 5 miles.  I've started having snoozes during the day, lying out in the sun.  A grass snake passed by and there are lots of butterflies around.  The last bit of the day's path was 7 miles around the estuary but I could see that the road cut across in only 2 miles.  Frustrating, but at least the path was flat.  As Helen would tell you, I'm a purist and can't cheat.  She arrived in the camper at Braunton and we parked up at Tesco's.  It was great to have a shower, and I slept like a log in a proper bed.

Today I'm feeling good although my legs ache.  H is carrying the gear so I only need a light pack today, and I've got my shorts on.  It should be a fairly flat day. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment