Friday 29 April 2011

500 miles

Slapton Sands
This has been the hardest day so far I think (they're becoming a little blurred).  Up and down like a fiddler's elbow non-stop with the big pack in hot weather and 24 miles wasn't easy. Good job I was in reasonable spirits.  Thanks to all of you who've left comments or emailed me - they really encourage me.  

The first few miles were very pleasant, walking through Slapton Sands Nature Reserve stopping to talk to a couple of twitchers to get the lowdown on our feathered friends.  From around mile 4 the up and down started but was especially hard each side of Dartmouth.  I stopped for a crab sandwich at Dartmouth and sat on a bench with an 84 yr old boatbuilder who started work when he was 13 and a half.  He used to be a good xc runner and now has bad knees so we compared notes. I crossed the Dart on the lower car ferry which I would recommend cos it's a tug which articulates onto the barge which turns around using rope linkage and is much more interesting than the passenger boat one. The killer was 2 high cliffs (100m+) in the last quarter of the walk and then a frustratingly long trudge into Brixham harbour where Helen was waiting.

Tired ... wish I could take a day off but only 7 more to go. Camper, beer, shower, food, bed. 

Today should be a relatively easy 22 miles around Torbay to Dawlish although there's a brisk cold wind as I write.  Will miss the royal wedding, shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment