Thursday 21 April 2011

Passed the half way point

Half way point, Five Pilchards Inn behind
Within 30 minutes of yesterday's start I saw a Peregrine falcon swooping through one of the many coves of the day.  Coffee and cake at the Lizard where there were many twitchers with their big lenses watching  choughs (not chuffs).  I stood for 2 or 3 minutes but still can't say I saw one.  Just before Cadgwith I came across a family pointing out to sea as they'd seen a basking shark just offshore.  Again I looked but apparently it had just dived so when I got to the village I consoled myself with an icecream topped with clotted cream and talked to a local who recommended a pub for our evening meal, even though it was a mile further on than planned.

Had lunch and a snooze before setting off for Porthallow.  The going to Coverack was pretty tough with a lot of steps and rocks but the scenery and weather were breathtaking.  Onwards to Porthoustock the coast path took its first real deviation inland, across fields and through country lanes.  H met me in one of these fields and we walked together for the last 3 or 4 miles.  The Five Pilchards Inn was the scene of a fantastic meal and 3 pints of IPA to celebrate the passing of the halfway point.  The SWCPA have erected a huge 'Halfway' plaque on the beach here but my GPS says that it's about 1 mile before this beach, in the middle of a field.  I've lost some of my initial exuberance from the start at Minehead, mainly because I'm frustrated about my painful knee, but am pleased to be on schedule and optimistic about the second half.

Today should be fairly easy walking from Porthallow to Falmouth, about 20 miles and includes a ferry across from Helford.

No comments:

Post a Comment