Friday 22 April 2011

Farming moment

On the cider at the beach
Yesterday's start was a short climb up to farmland by Porthallow harbour.  On reaching the top I watched the plastic sheeting being removed from the potato crop by a drum attached to the front-end loader of a tractor.  I pondered how the drum rotated at the correct speed so that the plastic film didn't snap or snag.  I guess there was some gismo somewhere that worked it all out.  Within a couple of miles I was following the estuary towards Helford.  This is a very pretty wooded section with bluebells and wild garlic interspersed with the odd cove/fishing hamlet. I took the optional ferry at Gillan with 4 other walkers; Barry, Moira, John and Cath who gave me £10 towards the walk.  As a charity walker I was informed by Des (my boatman) that the ferry was free so I said I would donate the £4 fare.  Just before Helford I stopped at Riverside cafe for coffee and got another £2 from the staff.  My best day's takings so far for my fundraising.

On through Helford to catch another ferry then on to Maenporth for lunch.  I saw the kids in the pic there.  It was so nice there that I was reluctant to get going again, but had to finish the last 5 miles to Falmouth where I finished very early at 4.

I'm a little ahead of schedule, so today I will be walking 23 miles from St Anthony to Gorran Haven.   It sprinkled with rain during the night but is sunny this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment