Saturday 23 April 2011

Bank Holiday closures

It must be a Bank Holiday ... path closures and rain.  Yesterday I started from St Anthony (Falmouth) and walked to Portscatho before breakfast, which disappointingly didn't feature coffee as nowhere opened until 11.  On the way to my lunch stop at Portloe the path was closed because of a 'landslip and unsafe bridge'.  As the diversion would add 2 miles of road I decided to ignore the closure and climb around the fencing.  Another mile on I came across the landslip which was nothing more than a small stream which had gullied out a couple of 1.5m deep by 2-3m wide ravines. I decided to climb in and out as it was too sketchy to jump the gap with my bad knees. 

On to lunch and a half hour snooze before the final 9 miles of the day.  As I reached Dodman Point it started to rain and, after walking on thinking it would just be a shower, I admitted defeat and put my jacket on before I got soaked.  H met me as I rounded Dodman Point (she was soaked) and we walked the last 3 miles on to Gorran Haven where I had a couple of pints of Betty Stoggs Honey beer.

Found a great value campsite, Tregarton Farm, where I listened to the rain and was glad I wasn't bivvying.  Woke up to sunshine.  I'm looking to do 20 miles to Fowey where we plan to have a meal out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim, well done so far - try telling the guys in the Portscatho Harbour Club you're from Rode and they will treat you well esp if you mention the cricket club! Mind you, they're friendly even without that. See you in May, Rich L

    ReplyDelete